Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Strawberries

 
 
At 7am friday morning we woke up the kids, fed them a quick breakfast and headed out the door to go pick strawberries. Now if anyone has lived in manitoba you know that there are a couple things good about manitoba. first we have the prettiest sand beaches all with in about a hour drive from winnipeg. You can walk out for quite a ways in the water before it gets deep and the sand is white. The second thing that is quite a amnitoba thing is strawberry picking. We had beautiful picking this year. They were hugh, and red red red. We went with some friends and I think we had 19 kids there, thank goodness they allowed the kids to eat strwberries. Between Heather and I we pick 11 baskets of berries. The problem with that is that I then needed to do something with them all. So we froze them, ate them, and then I took the rest and made jam. So now my cupboards are lined with beautiful jars of yummy jam.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Fresh strawberry jam is the best!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I love strawberries. Looks like a good time, and I second the thank heavens they let the kids eat while they pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strawberries Picking is a right of passage. I love fresh Strawberry Pie, such good memories! I am sure that is why they are so expensive, one in the bucket, one to eat...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to see all your beautiful jars of goodness. The greatest thing is that you will still be enjoying the jam when you weather has turned cold and the snow is pile high, high high. I of course will not be enduring any of that nasty coldness anymore. Not really sure how it all progressed to a post about how I will no longer be enduring all those wonderful winnipeg oddities with you, but hey I'm tired and eventhough it's only 9:36 here, in winnipeg it's 10:36 and we all know my filter abandons me at 10:00. As does my ability to spell correctly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strawbery picking is one of my most missed events of Winnipeg!!! I wish I could have gone with you and ate a bucket my self!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey tricia, don't forget to mention that once you have had fresh Manioba strawberries you never want to buy store bought again. The taste is out of this world
    carolyne-niverville

    ReplyDelete